Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Priority vs Preference

Since the beginning of my college years I've been told to date my "priority and not my preference" Meaning, date someone who has a good job, their own home, nice car, etc. whether I was physically attracted to the person or even remotely  interested in them. 
I have discovered that even if a person seemingly looks good on paper, they just may not be right for me. Time is more valuable than money because it's something one cannot get back. So, why waste it with someone just because they can provide me with stability? 
I know a few women who have married for stability that are unhappy, because their emotional needs aren't being met. But, they got the new stainless steel appliances and backsplash for their kitchen they've been longing for. They got the latest Coach bag and went on a vacation last month. So what! I'd rather date someone who  edifies my needs.
For the last two years I've been growing and figuring out exactly who I am and what I want...what's important to me in a mate,hell in life for that matter.
I'm interested in someone who laughs at my corny jokes, listens to my random "☝️little nobody cares facts," encourages me to be the best me, loves that I love Alainis Morisette, Miles Davis,Ron Isley and Tupac. ya know? Someone who gazes at me in amazement when I'm not looking and thinks "wow,she's dope!" 
I say all that to say this: it's not about what a man can provide for me financially, because if I've learned nothing else in these last two years, I've learned that nobody owes you sh** and YOU are responsible for YOU!! If I were to be single for the rest of my life, I would still want to travel the world, be a home/landowner and have nice things. And I would do what it takes to make that happen. 
While I agree that dating someone who is financially stable is a must, it sounds to me like "priority over preference" means settling. It says to me that I shouldn't feel like I'm worthy of  having/or that there aren't any attractive men who are spiritual,awake,childless,respectful, intelligent AND financially stable that love their mamas left in my age bracket...and I just don't believe that...especially because I know a few of them-they just haven't asked me on a date yet 😂
In my opinion, my priority IS my preference! 



No comments:

Post a Comment